St. Joseph Pro-Life Ministry
While keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus, the St. Joseph’s Pro-Life Ministry exists to promote life from conception to natural death in our families, parish, community, and the Archdiocese; by actively increasing awareness, praying and fasting for the conversion of hearts, and building and supporting pro-life and pro-family efforts in our community.
In fulfilling this task St. Joseph Pro-Life Ministry, focuses on the following four objectives; Public Information and Education, Pastoral Care, Public Policy, Prayer and Worship. These objectives are explained in more detail below.
I - Public Information and Education to deepen understanding of the sanctity of human life and the humanity of unborn children, the moral evil of intentionally killing innocent human beings—whether at the beginning of life or at its end—and the mission of the Church to witness to and serve all human life.
- At St. Joseph's this is achieved by making educational articles, pamphlets and brochures available in the parish and on the website. Each year the USCCB publishes Respect Life materials which are made available in the parish.
II - Pastoral Care for women with problems related to pregnancy; for all who have been involved in abortion; for those who are disabled, sick, and dying, and their families and caregivers; for those who have lost loved ones to violent crime; and for those in prison sentenced to death.
- Women with unplanned or crisis pregnancies are given emotional and spiritual support through the Gabriel Project Ministry. Material items are offered through the Birthline Ministry.
III - Public Policy efforts directed to restoring legal protection to the lives of unborn children and those vulnerable to pressures to end their lives by assisted suicide, and to providing morally acceptable alternatives to abortion and assisted suicide or euthanasia.
- Legislative resources are available from the USCCB and from the National Committee for a Human Life Amendment (NCHLA) an advocacy group for the US Bishops.
IV - Prayer and Worship directed to participation in the sacramental life of the Church and in programs of communal and individual prayer, that the culture of death that surrounds us today will be replaced by a culture of life and love.
- St. Joseph’s Parish has been asked to join the members of several other churches in Indiana as we pray for the closing of the following abortion mill: CLINIC FOR women located at 3607 West 16th Street (Planned Parenthood of Greater Indiana in Indianapolis refers women to this mill and to other abortion mills in Indianapolis).
- Third Thursday Adoration is a day set aside to prayer before the Blessed Sacrament specifically for Gabriel Project moms, for an end to abortion and for the conversion of those involved in abortion.
The spiritual remedy for the Culture of Death of course, is conversion, repentance and healing through Christ.
It is essential for Catholics to get down on our knees and offer prayer and sacrifice for the conversion of our family members, friends, neighbors and country. Only though prayer and sacrifice will our nation return to the values of "life and liberty" it once held dear.